[ALAC] SSAC 106

Vanda Scartezini vanda at scartezini.org
Mon Aug 12 21:33:36 UTC 2019

Guess we all ahve been surprised about the statement…

Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004
01311-200- Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Land Line: +55 11 3266.6253
Mobile: + 55 11 98181.1464
Sorry for any typos.

From: ALAC <alac-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org> on behalf of Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>
Date: Monday, August 12, 2019 at 13:29
To: Olivier Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
Cc: 'ALAC List' <alac at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
Subject: Re: [ALAC] SSAC 106

Thanks Andrei for the report.
I am in agreement with Olivier and support the issues he raised concerning representation.

It has to be urgently corrected.

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, 11:32 am Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, <ocl at gih.com<mailto:ocl at gih.com>> wrote:
Dear Andrei,

thank you for this. Whilst I usually completely agree with our friends in SSAC, I am really surprised to read one specific comment that is both technically wrong in the context of the ICANN Bylaws, and also disenfranchises the At-Large community and the At-Large Advisory Committee.

Quoting from SSAC106, Section 2, Comments on RSSAC037:

The SSAC notes that Section 4 of RSSAC037, listing the RSS stakeholders, does not make explicit mention of the Internet's user base. The reference to the ICANN Community includes ICANN's At Large Community, but there is a distinction between the collection of individual Internet users who participate in ICANN's policy development process and the broader collection of Internet users. The stability and security of the Internet's name system is critical for all Internet users. RSSAC037 states: "The stakeholders of the RSS are the people, groups, and organizations that have an interest or concern in the proper operation of the RSS." It would be logical to consider how to include this broader category of Internet users within the evolution of the RSS's governance structures. This topic could be addressed in the ongoing evolution of the RSS governance processes.

Basically put: the ALAC, according the SSAC comment in SSAC106, is a "collection of individual Internet users who participate in ICANN's policy development process" and NOT "the broader collection of Internet users".

This is wrong, according to ICANN Bylaws:

(i) The At-Large Advisory Committee ("At-Large Advisory Committee" or "ALAC") is the primary organizational home within ICANN for individual Internet users. The role of the ALAC shall be to consider and provide advice on the activities of ICANN, insofar as they relate to the interests of individual Internet users. This includes policies created through ICANN's Supporting Organizations, as well as the many other issues for which community input and advice is appropriate. The ALAC, which plays an important role in ICANN's accountability mechanisms, also coordinates some of ICANN's outreach to individual Internet users.

This disenfranchises the ALAC as it basically tags the ALAC as a "collection of individual Internet users who participate in ICANN's policy development process". Whilst I can imagine that some of the members of the SAC might think the ALAC is a "collection",  I am very surprised that this type of language has gone through the usually thorough SSAC processes. Otherwise, why have we built this network of RALOs, ALSes, and individual members from around the world for, if it was not to reach out to *all* Internet users out there?

I am really very surprised that this was let through.
Kindest regards,

Olivier