[ALAC] SSAC 106

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Aug 12 10:32:03 UTC 2019

Dear Andrei,

thank you for this. Whilst I usually completely agree with our friends
in SSAC, I am really surprised to read one specific comment that is both
technically wrong in the context of the ICANN Bylaws, and also
disenfranchises the At-Large community and the At-Large Advisory Committee.

Quoting from SSAC106, Section 2, Comments on RSSAC037:

The SSAC notes that Section 4 of RSSAC037, listing the RSS stakeholders,
does not make explicit mention of the Internet's user base. The
reference to the ICANN Community includes ICANN's At Large Community,
but there is a distinction between the collection of individual Internet
users who participate in ICANN's policy development process and the
broader collection of Internet users. The stability and security of the
Internet's name system is critical for all Internet users. RSSAC037
states: "The stakeholders of the RSS are the people, groups, and
organizations that have an interest or concern in the proper operation
of the RSS." It would be logical to consider how to include this broader
category of Internet users within the evolution of the RSS'sgovernance
structures. This topic could be addressed in the ongoing evolution of
the RSS governance processes.

Basically put: the ALAC, according the SSAC comment in SSAC106, is a
"collection of individual Internet users who participate in ICANN's
policy development process" and NOT "the broader collection of Internet
users".

This is wrong, according to ICANN Bylaws:

(i) The At-Large Advisory Committee ("*At-Large Advisory Committee*" or
"*ALAC*") is the primary organizational home within ICANN for individual
Internet users. The role of the ALAC shall be to consider and provide
advice on the activities of ICANN, insofar as they relate to the
interests of individual Internet users. This includes policies created
through ICANN's Supporting Organizations, as well as the many other
issues for which community input and advice is appropriate. The ALAC,
which plays an important role in ICANN's accountability mechanisms, also
coordinates some of ICANN's outreach to individual Internet users.

This disenfranchises the ALAC as it basically tags the ALAC as a
"collection of individual Internet users who participate in ICANN's
policy development process". Whilst I can imagine that some of the
members of the SAC might think the ALAC is a "collection",  I am very
surprised that this type of language has gone through the usually
thorough SSAC processes. Otherwise, why have we built this network of
RALOs, ALSes, and individual members from around the world for, if it
was not to reach out to *all* Internet users out there?

I am really very surprised that this was let through.
Kindest regards,

Olivier