[ALAC] CCWG Accountability WS2

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Sep 25 06:21:30 UTC 2018

As you might recall, we were scheduled to endorse the final report of
the CCWG-Accountability WS2 in Panama, but we delayed that because
the Board had expressed some reservations about several of the recommendations.

These concerns were addressed by providing implementation guidelines.

Accordingly, I will be proposing that the ALAC endorse the report.
However, I note that in our comment to the last Public Comment on the
consolidated report we said "The recommendations formulated in the
various sections of this report all have merit in advancing ICANN's
transparency and accountability. However, taken together, they may
amount to a daunting burden on ICANN Org and its volunteer community.
For this reason  ALAC recommends that as the recommendations are
implemented, ICANN takes an approach to minimize the impact and work
associated with following these recommendations."

I would suggest that we repeat this caveat in our ratification of the report.

Subject to any comments received in the rest of this week (by
Friday), I will open a BigPulse vote to ratify the
CCWG-Accountability WS2 report next week.

For your convenience, I am attaching the abbreviated report with the
recommendations, the full report including all annexes and the
implementation plan addressing the Board's concerns.