[ALAC] SHORT Consensus Call: Fellowship Selection Criteria

Tijani BEN JEMAA tijani.benjemaa at topnet.tn
Fri Sep 7 11:08:02 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I would like to thank the outreach and engagement sub-committee for providing this good draft.
Nevertheless, I have concerns in the following categories of diversity: Region, Age, Skills and other diversity category:
Region: As it is written here, we may have the whole selected fellows from the global north (people with sufficient wealth to come to ICANN meetings on their own expenses). My proposal is « Underserved regions and global underserved communities ».
Age: I agree with Sarah and Ricardo that limiting the age to 40 years is to avoid. I propose in stead « 24 - 55 years)
Skills: Someone skilled in ICANN policy development with ability to analyse data from an Internet end user perspective, as well as knowledge and technical experience of/with the Internet eco-system won’t have any need to be fellow. He/she is already expert. The original objective of the fellowship program is to bring people who need the fellowship to be able to attend an ICANN meeting, and the whole fellowship program for fellows during the meeting is more or less capacity building. So experts wouldn’t need the program and doesn’t give ICANN any added value. I propose: « sufficient educational background to understand the ICANN environment, good understanding of the English language, Interest in Internet in general, Interest in participating in the ICANN work ».
Other diversity category: Civil Society, Internet end-users, global indigenous people are kind of stakeholders. They should be placed in the section « Stakeholders groups and constituencies. I don’t think we should target persons because they are victims of harassment or conflicts. Exclusion and extreme poverty fall under the region category when it is defined as « Underserved regions and global underserved communities ».

As a general remark, I don’t think we were asked to give our own interest only. I think we should give the best target for the whole ICANN.

Tijani BEN JEMAA
Executive Director
Phone: +216 98 330 114
            +216 52 385 114