[ALAC] Root Zone KSK Rollover

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Oct 13 18:57:53 UTC 2018

Although there may be some similarities (certainly in the
end-result), the reason is very different.

In the the case of the KSK Rollover, we had several unknowns. We had
no idea how many servers did not have DNSSEC enabled (which meant
they would not be affected) nor how many had it enabled and had the
new key. Nor did we know how fast service would react if there was a
problem. The last estimates were that a VERY tiny fraction of users
would be affected, and that proved to be true.

With Y2K, there was abundant evidence that in the absence of an
intense work effort, there WOULD be problems - it was easy to see
that a system that only stored two digits for the year would sort
them out of order when once there was a "00". And a system that
subtracted 1900 from the full year would suddenly have a 3-digit
result. And there was plenty of code that did not recognize properly
that 2000 was a leap year (so Feb 29, 2000 was another hurdle when
some of us held their breath). Even many systems built in the
mid-1990s were going to fail.

Issues were not just software (where in many cases, the source code
no longer existed) but hardware clocks which did not expect the
change. It was estimated that for network equipment (primarily voice
I think) only 50% produced prior to 1996 would function properly. And
where the hardware would work, the billing might not.

And unlike with DNSSEC (where you could opt out consciously or
unconsciously be not using DNSSEC), you could not opt out of the year
changing on Dec 31.

In the end, there were relatively few problems, but that was because
of an unbelievably intense effort that went into fixing potential
problems or replacing or decommissioning systems.

Alan