[ALAC] Motion to amend the ALAC Rules of Procedure

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:11:40 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 10:18 PM Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

> At 08/10/2018 07:55 AM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>
> Hello Alan,
>
> Find below a few comments on the RoP and the mail guideline:
>
> *Comments on RoP*
> 11.45 - One needs to be careful with automatically considering all members
> present via email as it depends on the notice period provided.
>

> Agreed. As a fail-safe action, under 12.1.5, an ALAC Member can request
> that a formal vote be taken instead of the consensus call.

SO: Yes but this will be after the fact but its okay.

> 17.2.1 - Am not sure why the added statement is necessary, has there been
> a scenario where a candidate that had the majority wasn't declared winner?
>

> Perhaps not necessary but clarifies that this rule take precedence over
> 17.2.4. And it doesn't hurt.

SO: None of the 2 situations in 17.2.4 are applicable to 17.2.1 so i don't
think it clarifies a precedence.

> 19.9.1 - Edits suggests that all RALO must agree that BCEC erred, was that
> the intention? I think that may be very difficult to achieve especially in
> a highly tense political setup.(am not saying we have that now, but the RoP
> is to be future proof)
>

> The intent is that for a person to be added to the ballot, three RALOs
> must each feel strongly that the BCEC erred. The BCEC is made up of people
> selected by the RALOs and in the view of the group that agreed on this
> process, it should be a high bar to tell the BCEC that it erred. If we do
> not as a matter of course, trust the BCEC to do its deliberations
> carefully, why do we bother with the process at all?

SO: I was one of the last BSMPC or is it BCEC and remember that
recommendation and i agree with 3 RALOs, but the current wording suggests
all RALOs must have to support the petition from a particular RALO.

> 19.11.8 - I like the inclusion but i believe the interpretation of abstain
> needs to be reviewed. That someone abstain should not imply a No as we
> currently practice. It should simply mean the person does not care hence
> should not be counted in the total valid votes but should be part of total
> cast.
>

> The current rules are very clear about what the winning condition is (50%
> of votes cast) so I don't feel comfortable changing those words. A change
> could certainly be possible in the future. For the moment, we should focus
> on saying there should be an Abstain, or not (once can always not vote).

SO: Well Abstain in this case has weighting hence i don't think it can only
be a matter of having it or not, but if that is what you like us to focus
on then I prefer we do not include abstain then.

> 23.1/2 - Are you suggesting we put that phrase or just doing an
> explanation? if the former i don't think its necessary. I think just 23.3
> is sufficient.
>

> It would be bad form to have a 23.3 and no 23.1/23.2. People then do not
> know if there is an error or not. And we have (so far) tried to never
> renumber a section, although some day we may need to. We could simply say
> "Omitted" but this is clearer for this revision.

SO: Am unsure why 23.3 cannot then be renumbered to 23.1 since the previous
texts(23.1&2) are no longer applicable.

> 24 - Similar comment as 23 hence 24.3 should be sufficient
>

> *Comments on RoP - Email guide*
> ALAC (bullet 6) - By ALT's recommendation, does it mean ALAC would
> consider for approval or that ALT is recommending for implementation. I
> think it should be decision of ALAC.
>

> My intent was to make this automatic unless the ALAC over-rode (ie
> notification but not needing approval) to reduce the number of rubber-stamp
> ALAC decisions. And it had been universally accepted as a good thing (so
> far). If it needs a formal ALAC decision, it is already covered under the
> last bullet.

SO: Well am not sure about the universality but we do say ALT is not a
decision making group, i think doing what you suggest would not be playing
justice to that. Secondly this is an ALAC list, we are talking about hence
it seem to be appropriate that ALAC approves such additions.

> ALAC (bullet 8,9) - Am not sure who periodic affirmation mean, can you
> clarify your intention? Is it just to check with the individual if they
> still like to remain subscribed? if yes then i think there should be a
> definite period for that.
>

> The theory when we wrote this was that annually we would ask. But the list
> of such people is long and doing it annually would be a big chore (and in
> practice we do not get around to it. Thus the suggested change. It is rare
> that someone has asked to be taken off (and they always could at any time),
> so the impact is minimal.

SO: Okay actually changing from annually to periodic may give an impression
of much more frequent check, if an annual check is cumbersome, its better
this is stated to be done within every 2 years.

> ALAC-Internal (bullet 3) - I honestly feel the ALAC list is too large and
> i don't think bullet point 3 should be included as i don't see the added
> value. At best i think only the liasons should be included
>

> This is no change from the current practice - it just uses a new term not
> defined at the time this document was originally written and moves some
> from the last bullet to the third. The only current advisors who are not
> Liaisons are past ALAC Chairs.

SO: Hmm....lets just say the current practice of growing the ALAC internal
list is what I was also indirectly commenting on; I feel that including the
entire 3.5(particularly 3.5.3 and 3.5.5) as members of internal-list is
un-necessary and perhaps defeats the internal nature of it.

> Line 34 - Is it referring to communication on the list or the information
> of the mailman itself?
>

> Communications on the list.

SO: Okay kindly include that word communication somewhere in the sentence

Cheers!

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*

Bringing another down does not take you up - think about your action!