[ALAC] Multistakeholder Ethos Award Submission

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 28 03:04:43 UTC 2018

As per the decision of the ALAC today, I have nominated Stephane Van
Gelder for the Multistakeholder Ethos Award.

Alan

=====================

1. Demonstrated ability to work across community lines with both
familiar and unfamiliar ICANN Stakeholders with the aim of consensus
building and collaboration that substantiate ICANN's multistakeholder model;

>Stephane was the classic example someone who was from one particular
>constituency within ICANN, but clearly believed that all voices must
>be heard and given due consideration. The discussion and e-mail
>traffic within At-Large and the ALAC discussing the possibility for
>this submission was truly amazing. People who one would have thought
>would have had no contact with Stephane all had stories of how they
>collaborated with him in some way over the years.

2. Facilitator of dialogue and open discussion in a fair and
collegial manner, through the spirit of collaboration as shown
through empathy and demonstrating a sincere desire to engage with
people from other backgrounds, cultures, and interests;

>As Chair of the GNSO Counsel and later Chair of the Nominating
>Committee, Stephane had ample opportunity to deal with difficult and
>contentious situations. Based on the reports of all who have worked
>with him in both environments, he tirelessly met the challenge with
>his characteristic aplomb showing even-handedness, intelligence,
>sensitivity, positive attitude and of course, humor.

3. Demonstrated additional devotional factors exhibited by time spent
supporting ICANN's multistakeholder model and its overall
effectiveness through volunteer service via working groups or committees.

>Stephane served in a wide variety of roles in ICANN for almost 20
>year. No matter how much one cares about the Internet and ICANN and
>one's business interests, to do that for such a period of time
>signals a very high level of devotion.

The submission is being made in my capacity of Chair of the ALAC
based on a formal decision of the ALAC.

However, I would like to add a personal note. I do so with some
concern, since as a past member of the Ethos Award Panel, I have
questioned whether panelists should submit candidates (and several
have over the years). This is an exceptional case. The submission was
of course triggered by Stephane's untimely death yesterday. But there
are few people in ICANN who I believe merit this award as much as
Stephane did and does. I worked with Stephane when I was ALAC Liaison
to the GNSO and he was Chair. His ability to make me feel a true part
of the Council and not an interloper is something for which I am very grateful.