[ALAC] Community Feedback on Proposed models for RDS - by the end of January

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Jan 15 04:36:17 UTC 2018

In my mind, there is no question that we need to respond.

The models are NOT what I was expecting, but that
is not particularly relevant at this point.
ICANN's challenge is to attempt to saitisfy data
commissioners, who will not likely tell us ahead
of time that they agree with us or not, But to do
that while to the extent prossible, maintaining
WHOIS so it can at least partially satisfy the
ongoing important uses of WHOIS, particularly
with respect to fighting DNS abuse and malicious activities.

So for example, Model 3 certainly satisfies
privacy concerns (although we could endlessly
debate whether the expiration date is private
information or not), but it shuts down virtually
all other uses of WHOIS (including trade mark
protection and the UDRP) and I find including it
as one of the proposed models rather ludicrous.
It is certainly easy to implement. And cheap.

Alan