[ALAC] [CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-Accountability-WS2-Plenary-20180228- Documents

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Feb 27 20:34:16 UTC 2018

I will not be able to attend the CCWT-ACCT Plenary on 28 February
2018. Please ensure that this message is either read into the record
or otherwise considered during the deliberations on Diversity.

I note that the Diversity Recommendations being considered do not
include one to create an ICANN Office of Diversity (OoD).

There was an extensive discussion on diversity and an OoD within the
ALAC over the past weeks. As one might expect from such a regionally
based organization, the ALAC strongly supports diversity in all of
its forms, and to say we are (collectively) passionate about
diversity does not fully convey our feelings.

However, every person who contributed to the discussion (and that was
a majority of ALAC members and other community leaders) felt that
there is no need for an OoD, and to create one would needlessly
increase bureaucracy and cost without any real benefit. There was
support for ICANN organization to consider diversity among its staff
but that should be handled within Human Resources.

In summary, the ALAC would not support creating an OoD.

Alan Greenberg
CCWG-ACCT Member and Chair, ALAC