[ALAC] IMPORTANT: PAPER ON OFFICE OF DIVERSITY PUBLIC COMMENTS

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Feb 14 00:18:14 UTC 2018

I would like to call your attention to this paper that was just
circulated by the CCWG-Accountability WS2 on Diversity.

The ALAC was silent on the question of an Office of Diversity (OOD)
that was mentioned in the draft recommendations (see
https://community.icann.org/x/Z5tEB)

As important as diversity is, I find it troublesome that ICANN might
be dedicating more bureaucracy to it. As I noted in my recent
comments on the Specific Reviews Operating Standards
(https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-reviews-standards-17oct17/2018q1/000008.html),
I find that for the best of reasons, ICANN is building more and more
complex process, rules and bureaucracy. At a time when it is clear we
are going to have increasing budget constraint, this must be
controlled. If we consider issues such as this as sacred , then we
will see more and more other more discretionary budgets cut (and I am
predicting that if we don't change our philosophy, budget issues will
get MUCH worse).

According to the original recommendations document
(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ccwg-acct-ws2-draft-recs-diversity-26oct17-en.pdf):
The role of this office would be to independently support, record and
keep track of issues including complaints from the community on
diversity issues within the organization.

I presume that by "organization" the document means all of ICANN
(ICANN Organization as the staff are now known, the volunteer
community and the Board). For ICANN Organization, I see this as
falling directly under Human Resources and the Complaints Officer.
For the volunteer part of ICANN, and the Board, I think it quite
reasonable to keep records but that does not warrant a staffed
office. Selection of volunteers is not done centrally, and complaints
presumably should go to the Ombudsman.

Should the ALAC issue a further statement on this?  And if so, what
are your views?

Alan