[ALAC] EPDP Early input

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 07:06:15 UTC 2018

Sent from my mobile
Kindly excuse brevity and typos

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018, 03:35 Alan Greenberg, <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> I'm not at all sure that our situation is comparable. It is certainly far
> more atypical than a standard business or nonprofit.
>
> Most people who have more knowledge of GDPR that I do deem ICANN to ba a
> controller, although perhaps a join controller. But an unusual one in that
> unlike most controllers, we do not actually have custody of the data.
>
> Regarding where we are going on this, I am not prepared to roll over an
> just play dead. I think we need to put up a fight to get where we need to
> be. For instance, there are those who are saying (and using the data
> commissioners words to "prove" it, that we must not consider any needs
> other than our own. I differ on this. ICANN is not just responsible for
> making sure that the DNS records are orderly. We also have a responsibility
> to ensure that the DNS is usable and trusted. Although the ICANN mission
> does not use that word in this context, I believe that an untrusted DNS may
> as well not be there and be replaced with some other mechanism. GPDR DOES
> allow us to consider the needs of others. Article 6.1(f) explicitly says
> so. It is not unlimited but it is there and should allow us to make the
> case for ensuring that law enforcement and cyber security workers can get
> access. That is part of our job in this game.
>
> And like some of the SAC101 recommendations, we need to not only make sure
> that the data is there, and accessible, but that it can in practice be
> accessed (such as recommendations on RDAP and rate limiting).

SO: Agree

> The Temporary Spec is overreaching in that it says we are responsible for
> the entire framework for such activities and that is nonsense,

SO: By "we" I believe that ICANN is referred here, my question to you then
is if ICANN is not who else should responsible for that? (at least on high
level basis)

but I believe that we do have a responsibility to ensure that we support
> that framework and ensure that some types of data are available.

SO: While I agree with the principle of support from ICANN, may I know who
you believe should prepare the framework?

Regards