[ALAC] What to cover re GDPR in the HIT sessions?

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:50:11 UTC 2018

Hi all

Attached is a list of topics from which the SO/AC chairs are considering a
final list for inclusion into ICANN63 HIT slots.

Can you send me what you consider would be your top 2-3 topics? Not
possible to cover everything. Id like to survey what the ALAC considers
should be our suggested list (within the next 2-3 days?)

Austin, Donna via SOAC-Leaders-ICANNMeeting-Planning
[image: Attachments]Aug 8 (2 days ago)
to SOAC-Leaders-I.

Hi Everyone

Following on from the Planning Committee Meeting last week, where I agreed
that I would reach out to those that submitted GDPR related topic proposals
to see if we could find a way to rationalize these sessions in some way,
unfortunately I have to report that I have not had much success. I reached
out to those that had submitted the GDPR related sessions to see if there
was some way that we could consolidate five of the proposed topics (see
attached), but have yet to receive any response so I’ll put this down to
‘that time of year’. Understanding that there is some urgency to resolve
this to enable us to move forward with the planning for Barcelona I have
attached the proposal that I developed.

I also contacted Bruce Tonkin to see if he would be available to
moderate/facilitate a consolidated session and he is available if that is
something folks want to consider.

I also spoke to Tanzie and there is some flexibility in the schedule, for
example, it might be possible to schedule a 2 hour session on Wednesday
from 10.00 to 12.00, but my strong preference would be to have a 90 minute
session as I think 2 hours is probably too much. Perhaps another option, if
those that submitted the proposals don’t want to combine their sessions, is
to allocate 30 minute slots (that would mean cutting one of the sessions).
Of course that doesn’t really help overcome the problem of reducing the
number of Topic Proposals to fit the number of slots available.

In thinking about the meeting schedule from a holistic perspective, it’s my
personal opinion that 7 sessions devoted to GDPR is too many. There’s no
doubt that it is a ‘hot topic’, but we should be mindful that there are a
number of other efforts and issues that also require some air time as well
and with limited time available we should be respectful of the large number
of community members that will be attending the meeting that may have no
interest in the topic.

I’m not sure what our next steps are for winnowing down the Topic
Proposals. Perhaps Tanzie can remind us.

Thanks everyone.

Donna