[ALAC] ALAC Statement regarding EPDP

Hadia Abdelsalam Mokhtar EL miniawi Hadia at tra.gov.eg
Wed Aug 8 11:41:14 UTC 2018

Hi Holly and all,

Sorry could not reply earlier though I read the email and all the later comments because I was at the MEAC SIG and going through the EPDP survey.

So for sure I am not asking for access for individual consumers, I edited Alan's original statement adding to it the customers but missing that the statement askes for access, my mistake. So first I don't think that in our statement we should specifically refer to access (Which is referenced in Annex A of the temporary specification) but we should rather state our position with regard to the whole EPDP. The EPDP addresses four parts
1. Purposes for processing Registration Data
2. Required Data Processing activities (with 10 items one of which addresses access)
3. Data Processing terms
4. Updates to other Consensus Policies

The most important of which in my opinion is the purposes for processing registration data based on which the access would be granted. By no means do we want to send the message that data privacy is not important and that we are only concerned with law enforcement and cybersecurity. As  I mentioned before the impact of the GDPR on WHOIS will be felt by the individual internet customers and not only  those who identify cyber attackers and the law enforcement agencies.

I don't think that it serves us right to be speaking solely about cybersecurity and law enforcement agencies or being regarded as  their advocates as for sure we are the advocates of the Internet end users.

So I suggest the following edits with regard to item 4 of Alan's statement inviting others to modify/add if more clarity is required

"our main concern is about protecting the rights and interests of  individual internet users and consumers as well as third parties like consumer protection agencies, law enforcement, cybersecurity researchers, those combating fraud in domain names, and others who help protect users from phishing, malware, spam, fraud, DDoS attacks. Those who work to ensure that the Internet is a safe and secure place for users and to do so need timely information about certain websites, all within the constraints of GDPR of course."

Best
Hadia