[ALAC] ALAC Statement regarding EPDP

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Aug 1 15:19:39 UTC 2018

Yesterday, the EPDP Members were asked to present a 1-3 minute
summary of their groups position in regard to the EPDP. The following
is the statement agreed to by me, Hadia, Holly and Seun.

1.   The ALAC believes that the EPDP MUST succeed and will be working
toward that end.

2.   We have a support structure that we are organizing to ensure
that what we present here is understood by our community and has
their input and support.

3.   The ALAC believes that individual registrants are users and we
have regularly worked on their behalf (as in the PDP that we
initiated to protect registrant rights when their domains expire), if
registrant needs differ from those of the 4 billion Internet users
who are not registrants, those latter needs take precedence. We
believe that GDPR and this EPDP are such a situation.

4.   Although some Internet users consult WHOIS and will not be able
to do so in some cases going forward, our main concern is access for
those third parties who work to ensure that the Internet is a safe
and secure place for users and that means that law enforcement,
cybersecurity researchers, those combatting fraud in domain names,
and others who help protect users from phishing, malware, spam,
fraud, DDoS attacks and such can work with minimal reduction in
access to WHOIS data. All within the constraints of GDPR of course.