[ALAC] Going beyond ICANN mission? (Was Fwd: [Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Fwd: Board reply to CCWG-AP)

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 7 02:55:48 UTC 2017

Parts extracted to keep things concise and my further comments.

At 06/09/2017 10:36 PM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>On Sep 6, 2017 6:56 PM, "Alan Greenberg"
><<mailto:alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
>We do not want to endanger ICANN, but we also do not want to
>squander the money. If we ONLY do things that are strictly within
>ICANN's scope in how it uses its operational funds, then we may as
>well just roll the money into the ICANN operational budget. We need
>to be innovative.
>

>SO: Hmm...we should not be very strict but at the same time we have
>to be mindful of being within ICANN mission. The funds for instance
>should not be used to digitize content of a museum library. I also
>don't think the idea of staying within ICANN mission implies we
>should put the funds into ICANN operational budget. There are many
>many activities/projects within ICANN mission that their budget
>doesn't cover and rolling back a one time amount into operational
>budget isn't a good idea for not-for-profit.

AG: My suggestion to put the funds into ICANN's operational budget
was not serious, but I was trying to highlight that *IF* we were
going to constrain too tightly, the net effect would be the same and
a lot lest costly interms of this CCAG working for another year or so
and then setting up or contracting for some operational entity to do the work.

Even I would find it hard (or impossible) to justifying digitizing a
library. Unless of course, it was the library associated with early
IAN  or related documentation. That is why we WILL have constraints
and the applicants will have to make a strong connection to them.

>My classic example is Internet Exchange Points. They are not what I
>would consider something that is strictly within ICANN's mission.
>But they are very important to parts of our community including ISPs
>and the RIRs (the second N in ICANN). And they even (typically)
>require Autonomous System Numbers, one of the unique identifiers
>that we are here for. And they create great benefit for the "greater
>Internet community", and perhaps even more important, they help
>strenghten the relatively weak infrastructure in places not
>necessarily well served  by the Internet.
>

>SO: IMO am not sure why you think IX probably falls outside of ICANN
>mission. Espcially if it comes to capacity building and providing
>relevant resources to get them more operational to ensure open
>Internet because some IX does host registry copies. Section IV of
>ICANN mission seem to allow that. That said, I don't think having
>ICANN build an IX from scratch for instance should be within scope.

AG: I wasn't saying *I* think that. But I have had the reaction from
some that ANYTHING that smells of infrastructure is definitely
off-limits. If everyone now playing in the sandbox thinks it is fine,
I am delighted. I am not sure that providing the rather minimal
capital cost of the equipment, when it is part of an overall program
is off-limits, but it is certainly something that could be decided.

>More specifically, I want the CCWG to leave the door as wide open as
>possible while meeting the Board's concerns, to allow project
>requesters to be innovative in creating viable links from their
>projects to the constraints that we must meet.
>

>SO: Okay so it seem we do not necessarily have a significantly
>different view on this after all.

AG: I don't think so. My concern is that there are some people in the
group that REALLY want to constrain things, and while we may not go
as liberal as I would prefer, I really want to make sure we do not
end up in a position where we cannot make really good use of the funds.

Alan