[ALAC] CORRECTION: Empowered Community Action to appoint new directors

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 6 14:17:40 UTC 2017

Hi Sebastien,

This was discussed when we were first called upon
to name the At-Large, GNSO and ccNSO Directors
earlier this year. See
http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/alac/2017-May/010394.html.

There is in fact a possible discrepancy within
the Bylaws and this is also reflected in our RoP.
The Bylaws require that the appointment of Board
members be unconditional (and not need action of
the AC/SO), but they also say that the
Administrative Representative of the Decisional
Participant (the ALAC) must act solely as
directed by the Decisional Participant.

In discussion with ICANN Counsel, there does not
seem to be any real concern over this, either at
the ICANN legal level or the other AC/SOs, but my
recommendation is that we change out RoP to make
it clear that for the appointment of directors
(and for the removal of Directors by action of
the Board), that the Administrative Representative can act without instruction.

In the short term, we are acting under our rules
that allow the Chair to take action on his/her
own when there is a matter of urgency, and have
it ratified by the ALAC after the fact. But we
will amend our RoP to cover this when we do the next revision.

Alan