[ALAC] Briefing note: Use of gTLD Auction Proceeds for ICANN Reserve

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 25 01:05:50 UTC 2017

Thanks Leon, and thank you for starting the discussion via e-mail.

The ongoing replenishment (or growth) is, in my
mind, a given, and hopefully that message will be
clear from the public comment.

For the auction funds, I would tend to limit any
contribution to perhaps 20% if we have the full
$235m, and of course less if we have a smaller
amount. My rationale is rather self-serving in
that if we do not get such a contribution, there
will be a  big draw on annual budgets for some
years to come to get up to a reasonable level,
and that will put great pressure on operational
budgets and the AC/SO budgets which are perhaps more vulnerable.

Alan