[ALAC] ALAC Statement on Reserve Fund

Andrei Kolesnikov andrei at rol.ru
Wed Nov 29 08:48:28 UTC 2017

Colleagues, my understanding of the "reserve fund" is deeply connected with
risks. Because by meaning it is echoed to "unexpected trouble". Healthy
organization should not have any "we don't know why we need reserve, but
lets have it"
 environment. If we consider risks to be covered by reserve fund, first we
need to have a clear and understandable list of risks. Such as (only as
example):
- asteroid hits the HQ of ICANN and we need to reallocate office to backup
location;
- Mr.Trump assigns the governmental order to make ICANN state-driven
organization;
- N.Korea rocket hits Verisign technical facility and we need to move
primary root to other technical facility;
- ICANN gets deadly legal liability and spends all money for lawyers to
keep operations running;
- Godaddy go bankrupt and ICANN need money to deal with millions of
registrants;
- Russia, China, Brazil and India launches alternative root and ICANN needs
financial instruments to fix it on global fora.

The size of reserve fund (and formula to keep it running) depends on type
and probability of the risk. Many of us went through this exercise while
dealing with "business continuity" question in new gTLD application. I
don't think the process of defining the reserve fund is much different. For
instance, technical risks to PTI must be separated from
operational/legal/business risks, etc.

Yours, --andrei

--
Andrey Kolesnikov