[ALAC] ALAC Statement on Reserve Fund

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Nov 28 20:57:41 UTC 2017

At 28/11/2017 03:41 PM, Ricardo Holmquist wrote:

>1;YQXPR0101MB1589;27:DmTDXd+tKF+hsFQy4y1hx2iwKk33s8fKijLdC8LJFxt0/Zzfn4dbhUCRAQ0yQYRvOMyqPoJQKPPD6/7vXPWySVlKLrsIvq0YiYIVjz6Z7fwEXz36Ie12KRi/2umAA+HO
>
>Hi,
>First, I do agree with Alan and Sebatien it should be at least one
>year of opex. But also I understand the reserve fund will be used
>for extraordinary issues, not foreseen right now, and the actual
>opex is coming from regular incomes, and it seems it will be so at
>least for FY19 (and FY20). So the reserve can be replenished over an
>ammount of time. Sources for this replenishment, other than gTLD
>auctions, can be the actual interest paid to the different funds
>ICANN have, and a inclusion of certain ammounts in the budget.

Interest on regular funds is a standard income item and is already in
ICANN budgets.

Interest on segregated funds currently goes back to those funds.

>Lastly, a point not mentioned in the draft is the need for ICANN to
>be cautious with its expenses. The original fund covered a year of
>opex, and it was expected to decrease due to the IANA transtion, but
>in fact the ammount of depletion of the reserve is larger than the
>ammount shown for IANA transtion, so it seems it is covering not
>only extraordinary events (The IANA transition), but also regular
>costs. Altough the incomes seems to be flattening, the budget is
>increasing, that is particularly true with PTI and IANA budgets,
>where the actual draft increases the FY19 in almost 10% over FY18

My understanding is that the amount that has been taken from the
reserve ($36m) is only for the IANA transition and Accountability. At
least, that is what the report seems to say.

Alan