[ALAC] ALAC Statement on Reserve Fund

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Nov 28 19:26:13 UTC 2017

See https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71602968.

Sebastien identified a number of important issues related to the
reserve fund, following discussion with him, I have drafted the
following short statement (also posted to the Wiki). As the PC closes
on Thursday, and I believe it is essential that we make a strong
statement, I would like to discuss this on the ALAC call in a few hours.

Alan

----------------

The ALAC strongly supports having the Reserve Fund at the level of 12
months expenses, and higher if there is a practical way of achieving
that without unduly impacting ICANN's ability to provide necessary
services, ensure the current and ongoing security, stability and
resiliency of the DNS, and adequately support its ACs and SOs.

Since the Reserve Fund level is clearly tightly coupled to the level
of ICANN operational expenses, any discussion of the reserve should
have included a recent history and projection of ICANN operational
expenses along with the employee/contractor levels and the Reserve
Fund levels over the same period.

At whatever level the Reserve Fund target is set, ICANN must publish
a plan on how and when this will be achieved. Given that the proposed
target level(s) are significantly above the current Reserve Fund
level, and it is unrealistic to believe that we will sustain or
exceed this year's return-to-reserve of $5m, ICANN should
expeditiously investigate alternative methods of building the reserve
to ensure ICANN's future stability. Sources such as the Auction
Proceeds, the surplus from the last round of new gTLD, or a levy on
any future new gTLD fees should be considered.