[ALAC] Domain Abuse Reporting Tool

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu May 18 14:34:33 UTC 2017

Evan, it is not clear what fraction of the
"abuse" being captured here contravenes policy.
To the extend that it does, and where the
information is such that it is actionable I do
hope that we will see action. But I think that
the real issue here is that this is the first
time in my recollection that ICANN has taken a
position other than "this is outside of our
remit". Jamie Hedlund has said that we need to
look at abuse situations because because domain
names are being used, and PERHAPS there is
something that we can do. We now have a
staff-developed tool that may help quantify
things and with the granularity to actually
identify individual contracted parties that seem
to be focal points for this type of behaviour.

Although I have rarely been accused of being an
optimist in this area, I do see grounds for hope,
and if we see behaviour in ICANN that we support,
we need to be vocal about it. There will be
others who would want this type of information
suppressed. That would be a shameful outcome.

Alan