[ALAC] Issue related to the Appointment of Directors by Empowered Community

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri May 12 02:09:16 UTC 2017

In looking at the recent notice of the appointment of the new GNSO
Director and again at the notice for Leon, I realized we have a small
issue related to the appointment of Directors.

Although Directors are selected by the SOs, At-Large and the NomCom,
under the new Empowered Community model, the actual appointment
(technically under California statutes, they are "designated") to the
Board is done by the Empowered Community (EC) through the EC
Administration. The EC Administration is not a true body but the name
given to the five representatives of the "Decisional Participants",
the GNSO, ccNSO, ASO, GAC and ALAC.

Therefore the designation is done by those five people without any
discretion to second-guess the selecting body.

However, both the Bylaws in the general case and the ALAC Rules of
Procedure (RoP) say that the Representative can only act on express
instructions of their AC/SO.

It is clear that the intent of the CCWG-Accountability and the Bylaws
are to not actually involve the five Decisional Participants.

Extracts from the ICANN Bylaws and the ALAC RoP are attached.

As the appointments must be formally made without delay, I am, with
the knowledge of the ALT and in accordance with ALAC RoP 5.11,
endorsing the EC Administration designation of the new Directors
(Matthew Shears and Leon at this point) and will ask that this
decision be ratified at the upcoming ALAC meeting.

I will also be proposing an amendment to our Rules of Procedure to
correct this inadvertent problem.