[ALAC] Proposed Renewal of .NET Registry Agreement

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon May 8 09:07:34 UTC 2017

Hello,

>From my quick read of the agreement it seem to be that a renewal option is
already existing (ofcourse subject to compliance of certain requirement)
and nothing major is changing in that section (ref: section 4.2). I think
it's just appropriate to renew if all is fine, I don't see why things
should be opened to competitive bidding.

Secondly I am not sure where the commenter's pricing forecast comes from
but my reading of section 7.3 seem to imply a maximum price cap of 8.95 USD
with maximum of 10% annual increase from current cap of 5.4. I guess the
question to answer is whether that maximum isn't too much considering it
was initially and currently capped at 5.4USD. I personally think it is too
high as that allows for over 50% increase and 100% of the increase actually
goes to the operator (ICANN remains at .75USD). I do not see why pricing
must increase especially since there is/will be volume increase in .net and
maintenance cost usually don't increase significantly as a result of more
registration. I think justification for such price increase needs to be
made to ICANN before implementation.

Considering that the end users are ultimately the registrants who will
largely feel the effect of this pricing, I will suggest that we raise our
concern about the increase.

Regards

Sent from my LG G4
Kindly excuse brevity and typos