[ALAC] The Role of the At-Large Community - Discussion with the Board

Vanda Scartezini vanda at scartezini.org
Fri Mar 3 15:15:51 UTC 2017

Do some Outreach and get people Involved are two different animals:
Alberto has asked us to list all events we have talked last two years. If we get all places around in my region  I + my colleagues from my ALS ( NEXTi – IT Executive women) - have talked about ICANN and encourage people to participate, I could say we have talked with more than 10,000 persons from ISPs, NGOs, students ( high school and universities), professional association, lawyers events, techy events…
Even so only less than 20 persons effectively are participating in ICANN from all those contacted.
Some others had applied for NOMCOM but not selected, participated in one or other ICANN groups, attended one or two LACRALO meeting but normally the feedback from those are “too complex to follow /  we need more  time to learn, etc….
But when you talk about some results from ALSs, having them formally involved, we have good results , even if some colleagues ( from my ALs for instance) had gone to other groups in ICANN.
Even in LACRALO  we have good examples from ALSs engagement : Aida, is one example of ALS that took some time to learn but now is working quite hard and contributing a lot with the group. Harold is another example…  certainly other Ralos can have good examples.
Individual participation is valid but need to be active part of any RALO. Other parallel structure or total independency  not sounds like a good idea.

Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004
01311-200- Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil