[ALAC] [ALAC-LT] Process for deciding on wether to issue a Public Comment Statement

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 22 18:03:17 UTC 2017

Seun, you are correct.

This was a message that I sent to the ALT list
for their thoughts before going further, but on
my answer to Oliver, I inadvertently added the ALAC list.

Everything is included here is you. The original
message is the text which has 3 revision bars.

The history is that in replying to the At-Large
Review draft recommendation on abolishing the
ALT, I realized that there was one relatively
small example of the ALT actually making
decisions, and that was if there was a public
comment that was announced before an ALT meeting,
the ALT might decide that no comment was
warranted. This would be reported at the
following ALAC meeting. There would still be time
to reverse the decision if there was a will, but
I realized that we were reporting the "decision"
to not submit a statement, and that if fact, it
should really have been an ALT "recommendation".
If the ALAC ever did decide to draft a statement
in such a situation, the delay between the ALT
meeting and the ALAC meeting would result in a
pretty short period in which to draft the
statement.  So I decided we should immediately
tell the ALAC instead of waiting.

Along with documenting a bunch of ICANN
processes, staff is also documenting the AC
decision process, so getting that right prompted
me to start this thread now instead of at some
later time. The bulk of the suggested process is
just the status quo, documented.

Hope this help,

Alan