[ALAC] cNSO-SSAC issue

Vanda Scartezini vanda at scartezini.org
Tue Feb 28 21:42:04 UTC 2017

Remembering  the case with .br with the Russian cyrilic script

Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004
01311-200- Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Land Line: +55 11 3266.6253
Mobile: + 55 11 98181.1464
Sorry for any typos.
HAPPY 2017!

From: <alac-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org> on behalf of Andrei Kolesnikov <andrei at rol.ru>
Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 6:01 PM
To: Maureen Hilyard <maureen.hilyard at gmail.com>
Cc: 'ALAC List' <alac at atlarge-lists.icann.org>, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
Subject: Re: [ALAC] cNSO-SSAC issue

Thank you Maureen, good report.
 The origin of this story goes years back when I was representing ccTLD with (still world largest) IDN obtained by Fast Track. I know how important it is for the local market, government and end users to have an ability to use local script in domain names. The process of similarity check was in place without expectations to see a real problematic cases anyday soon. But it happened. The similar process in new gTLD project was accurately timelin'ed and works well (until the real confusion case at least). I'd like to mention RFC6912 paragraph 6 one more time. The visually confusing labels are potential problem for a registry, not to a root zone in general. With IDN ccTLD registry procedures (particularly for mentioned Greek and Cyrillic scripts) if any domain name confusion case becomes real, it can be mitigated by the registry or registrars at the local level. I recommend to support ccNSO statement with all balances and checks they've included into the document.
best regards, --andrei

Background notes for your information - for the ALAC meeting

Maureen

At-Large Online: http://www.atlarge.icann.org
ALAC Working Wiki: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Advisory+Committee+(ALAC)

--