[ALAC] NomCom selection of ALAC Members

Bastiaan Goslings bastiaan.goslings at ams-ix.net
Tue Dec 5 07:09:42 UTC 2017

Thank you, Alan - apologies for not following up earlier.

I just read the ‘documentation used last year’. Your message suggests to me that some NomCom selected ALAC members have not done well because our ex ante requirements might not have been clear/specific enough for the NomCom to make the right selection. Which would then be a reason to review these requirements.

The requirements with regard to selection of candidates in the 2017 doc you attached in itself seem fine with me: I was not part of the procedures so I cannot judge whether the framing of the requirements led to selection of underperforming ALAC members, whether NomCom selected the wrong candidates because of not using good requirements properly, of whether candidates fitted the requirements (i.e. doc is fine and NonCom made a good selection) but that some of them just did not live up to expectations.

(If the latter is the case then we should try to learn from that IMO. Which would mean looking at individuals and how/why they (under) performed during their term. Then we would be looking more at the ‘responsibilities’ of an ALAC member as opposed to the requirements for the NomCom to select one)

Anyway. Happy to be part a a drafting team if that helps,

-Bastiaan