[ALAC] Discussion: WT5 of PDP on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Aug 27 22:11:37 UTC 2017

Tijani, why do you say that attempting to ensure
that multiple views are represented will result
in a "neutral" group. It could be that there are
only two main views and a majority of At-large espouses one of them.

The difference between this and other groups that
we have worked in is that in most other cases,
At-Large to a great extent was speaking from a
single point of view, perhaps with minor
variations. That *may* be the case here, or not.
That is what I was trying to determine.

And the question I was asking is that IF there
are multiple views, do we want to try to ensure
through the selection process that they are
represented? That is a separate question from
whether we ensure that we have five regional reps
which so far there is strong support for (as expected).

To use your own words, this is in the interest of
diversity. Diversity of views and not only geographic regions.

Alan

At 27/08/2017 01:24 PM, Tijani BEN JEMAA wrote:
>Alan,
>
>You know that I hate disagreeing with you. But
>when you say «  we may consider opinion balance
>rather than regional balance, the difference is
>very clear and the divergence is there.
>
>We don’t need to go to the WT with a single
>harmonized, balanced (neutral at the end of the
>day) view, but bring the views of our respective
>communities. That’s the interest of the diversity.
>The model of our participation in the CCWG is be followed in my opinion.

>Tijani BEN JEMAA
>Executive Director
>Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations (FMAI)
>Phone: +216 98 330 114
>           +216 52 385 114
>

>>Le 27 août 2017 à 16:41, Alan Greenberg
>><<mailto:alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> a écrit :
>>
>>Tijani and others,
>>
>>You are disagreeing with one small POSSIBLE
>>consequence of what I suggested and I am not
>>sure to what extent you are disagreeing with
>>the main part, that we TRY to ensure that all
>>major viewpoints held by At-Large people are represented.
>>
>>It is fine to say that if we don't like the
>>outcome, we will not ratify it, but just as in
>>our reply to Rec 1 of the review, we say we are
>>MUCH better off if we can effect the outcome so
>>it is good, rather than just object afterwards,
>>in this case, we need to ensure that our
>>participants in the process represent the range of views.
>>
>>Alan
>>

>>At 27/08/2017 06:53 AM, Tijani BEN JEMAA wrote:
>>>Bonjour Alan,
>>>
>>>I̢۪m afraid I don̢۪t share your approach.
>>>
>>>What you are proposing is to send to the WT a
>>>neutral (balanced) opinion. You even propose
>>>to have opinion balance rather than regional balance.
>>>This means that if we have more than a region
>>>with the same opinion, we have to take only
>>>one and take 2 or more from a region with
>>>various opinions. What would be the result????
>>>Regions much more represented than others for
>>>an issue about geographic names
¦..