[ALAC] ALAC Chair

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 1 03:11:50 UTC 2017

One of the results of the first At-Large Review was the
recommendation that the ALAC Chair be appointed for 2-year terms. The
logistics of that was problematic - at any given time, half of the
ALAC only has one year more remaining in their ALAC term. When the
Rules of Procedure were re-written in 2012-13, the solution was to
elect the Chair for a term on one year, but with the option, at the
Chair's discretion, to extend the term to 2 years if the Chair was
still an ALAC Member and willing to serve. That served to implement
the two-year term, but only when the person was available to serve
the 2nd year. The applicable ALAC RoP 5.4, 8.1 and 8.2 are reproduced
at the end of this message.

I was re-elected as Chair last year, and thus I now have to decide
whether I will stay as Chair for the coming year. I have thought
about this over the last months and considered all of the issues,
including the optics of staying on in light of the ITEMS Review
accusation of entrenched leadership resisting change (a position that
the ALAC strongly rejected in its comments) and in light of what has
been accomplished during my tenure as Chair. Although it has been a
very busy three years, much of my and our efforts have been focused
on the IANA Stewardship Transition and ICANN Accountability. As a
result, my hopes at increasing our ALS effectiveness have not come to
fruition, as clearly evidenced by the At-Large Review results.

On balance, I have decided to extend my term for an additional year
to continue the work with ALS effectiveness, to see the ICANN
Accountability efforts come to a completion and to start (and
hopefully partially complete) the At-Large Review Implementation.

2017-18 will be my last year as ALAC Chair and as an ALAC Member.

Nominations for the other four ALT positions will open shortly.

ALAC Rules of Procedure (http://tinyurl.com/ALAC-RoP-2016-09)

5.4 The Chair is elected for a one year term. At the end of that
term, the appointment may be renewed for one additional year subject
to the provisions of Paragraph 8.2. The first priority for the ALAC
is to select the best person to be Chair regardless of their ability
to serve for a second term.

8.1 All appointments begin at the conclusion of one AAGM and continue
until the conclusion of the following AAGM, unless the ALAC
specifically identifies a different timeframe.

8.2 If the Chair is still a member of the ALAC in the year following
his or her selection, is willing to continue in that role and subject
to the eligibility rules in Paragraph 5, the Chair's term is deemed
to be automatically renewed for a second year without any explicit
action of the ALAC.