[ALAC] Expression of Interest

Yrjö Länsipuro yrjo_lansipuro at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 17:32:47 UTC 2016

Dear all,

Below please find my Expression of Interest in continuing to serve as the ALAC Liaison to GAC, now on an interim basis,

for the next regular term. I also attach my CV. Both can be posted on public lists.

Best,

Yrjö

Expression of Interest in serving as the ALAC Liaison to the GAC

I’m interested in continuing my service as the ALAC Liaison to the GAC (now on an interim basis) for the regular 2016-2017 term.

Enhancing communication and exploring common ground for joint action between the ALAC and the GAC present a great opportunity for strengthening  ICANN’s public interest orientation. ALAC and GAC both cater to the interests of end-users/consumers/citizens , and  are natural partners on many policy issues. However, their institutional cultures and operational procedures are rather different. That is why the  ALAC Liaison needs to be thoroughly familiar with the GAC – someone with a foot in both camps.

I believe that my background enables me to act successfully in this role.

After a long career in print and TV journalism, I served in the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland 1992-2009. As the Press Counselor at the Finnish Embassy in Washington DC and later as the Director General of the Department for Press and Culture, I can say I played a leading role in pushing  through the early  adoption of Internet tools into the service of Finnish public diplomacy.

In 2005, the Ministry put me in charge of coordinating international ICT and Information Society issues,  including WSIS  and its many-faceted follow-up. In 2006-2009, I represented the Finnish government  on the GAC, defended the emerging multistakeholder concept of Internet Governance on a variety of inter-governmental  fora such as ITU  and CSTD and arranged Finnish funding for the initial phases of the IGF and EuroDIG. On a personal basis, I was a member of the ICANN President’s Strategy Committee that produced guidelines for improving the institutional confidence in ICANN.

After leaving government service I became active in  ISOC Finland, an ALS of the At-large and EURALO.  I’m a member  of its Board, as well as of the EURALO Board, since 2010, and since 2012 the President of ISOC Finland.

At EURALO’s suggestion, ALAC delegated me as their voting representative in ICANN’s Nominating Committees for 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2016.  I served as the Chair of the 2013 NomCom and as the Associate Chair of the 2014 NomCom.

Since my appointment  as ALAC’s interim Liaison to the GAC, I have worked to establish the ground principles and working modalities  that would draw the maximum benefit for both bodies of the new arrangement. I have been remarkably well received by my former colleagues on the CAG – many are still there – as well as other GAC members and staff.