[ALAC] ICANN57 - High Interest Topics - Next Steps

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Tue Sep 20 22:54:58 UTC 2016

My comments interspersed

> See the following message. An extension to Friday has been requested and I hope will be honoured. See my following very hastily prepared comments. Let me know how they match yours.  Alan
>
> 1. DNS and Content Regulation
>         1 This session does not seem to allow for significant audience participation and I beleive some of the premises are false.
Agree

> 2. gTLD Marketplace Health index
>         2 Unclear if the session is on the marketplace or the index and I think more prep is needed prior to this being a high interest session.
It could be very interesting - but agree- it would need more preparation

> 3. How to do outreach within each SO/AC
>         3 Could be of interest if only to demonstrate the differences between groups and what outreach means to each.
There are more interesting and  important issues on the list

> 4. ICANN Contribution to the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda
>         1 Although I personally would find this interesting, I am not sure it is really within the ICANN mandate nor would be of general interest.
Agree - not within ICANNs remit even if interesting

> 5. ICANN Support for Multistakeholder Initiatives for Advancing Online Child Protection
>         3 Although the format is not detailed, this topic is very much in line with ALAC concerns about the lack of controls on new gTLDs.
Needs more work.  Is this about PICS - only support if it is within the broader context of newGTLDs

> 6. Internet Governance - Public Session
>         3 I would support this. Fragmantation is an issue that will be of increasing interest, particularly if the IANA transition does not go through.
Maybe support - but again, is this ICANN’s remit.

> 7. Mitigation of Abuse in gTLDs
>         3 Again, no indication of session format, but presuming an opportunity for audience participation I think that this would be of interest to us.
This is ICANN’s remit and yes, would be of inerest

> 8. Operational session on KPIs, regarding ICANN's reach, spending, and engagement strategies
>         ? I don't have a dgood feeling for this one.
Agree -

> 9. Public Interest
>         3 Definitely
Yes, definitely

> 10. The role of the No-Commercial stakeholders within ICANN. A dialogue to foster understanding and co-operation within ICANN.
>         1 This description talks about non-commercial stakeholders within ICANN, but seems to focus purely within the GNSO. If indeed it was wider than that, I would support it.
Agree - this needs to go beyond GNSO.  Why not SSAC, GAC etc as well as ALAC

> 11. Transparency on legal advice given to ICANN [to preserve its principles and openness
>         3 I would support this, although I am dubious on the outcomes.
The lawyer in me would find this of interest - but also am not sure of outcomes

> 12. Underserved Regions in ICANN
>         3 Again no info on session format, but the topic could be of interest.
This is clearly an issue for ALAC - one tha we have been talking about for some time

> 13. Universal Consumer Awareness about the largest ever expansion of the Internet
>         3 I agreed tat the ALAC would partiicpate in this session, but explicitly said we would not likely support a Ry request for ICANN to embark on a program to support growth in use of new gTLDs.
Agree - and agree with the caveat.  This mud NOT be a session assuming new rounds of new gTLDs

> 14. Update on WHOIS-Related Initiatives
>         3 There is so much going on that such an update would be of use.
Of cours his interests me and should interest everyone

> 15. What ICANN does not do and why!
>         3 I like the idea!
I also like the idea

Holly