[ALAC] Election by At-Large ICANN Board

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun Nov 27 22:39:50 UTC 2016

On 27 November 2016 at 12:02, Sébastien Bachollet <sebastien at bachollet.com>
wrote:
​

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> After talking to all those of you whom I was lucky enough to share time
> with during our last meeting in Hyderabad, I have decided to run for the
> seat 15 elected by At-Large on the ICANN Board.

Hi Sebastien.

While I welcome your candidacy, I am concerned about the timing of
​this​
 "launch".

As I understand it, At-Large is at the stage of calling for expressions of
interest for candidates. Such EoIs are to be evaluated by the Board
Candidate Evaluation Committee according to processes that have been in
place since At-Large began sending members to the Board. As you've
participated in the last two selections, you are well aware of this process.

I applaud your confidence that you will be selected by the BCEC to the
slate of choices presented. But I am concerned about the integrity of the
process and of campaigning before the BCEC has completed its task..

The candidate selection process, and the BCEC itself, were deliberately
designed to prevent insider politicking, in order to increase At-Large's
ability to attract a diversity of candidates. It was intended that
candidates were not to solicit support from the 20 voters until we actually
knew who the candidates are.

What has changed in this cycle?

Cheers,
​- Evan​