[ALAC] CONSENSUS CALL: My comments on Draft Bylaws

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu May 19 13:56:35 UTC 2016

Most of the comments I made (sent to the CCWG
list and IANA-Issues lists) have either been
completely integrated into the CCWG comments or
are not particularly important. There are two
that I feel still have merit. I have reviewed
them with the ALT, and I have their full support
(including Cheryl and Leon who have been very
involved in the current draft Bylaws as well as
the more recent comments of the CCWG itself on
the draft Bylaws. I am not making these comments
without considerable thought. IN BOTH CASES, IF
THE CURRENT DRAFT BYLAWS ARE IMPLEMENTED, I
BELIEVE THAT ICANN WILL BE FOLLOWING A PATH THAT
WILL NEGATIVELY IMPACT ALL OF US.

I will be submitting these comments to the Public
Comment on my own behalf, but I would like to be
able to say that they are supported by the ALAC
prior to the close of the comment oat 23:59 on
Saturday. I would appreciate explicit statements
of support, but in the absence of significant
opposition, I will say that the comments are those of the ALAC.

Alan

PS I will not be submitting the comment until
later today. If you notice any typos, please let me know ASAP.

=============================
Background:
The Affirmation of Commitment (AoC) Reviews are
now being integrated into the Bylaws. The AoC
called for the reviews to be held every three
years, but was unclear as to when the three years
was measured from. The three years has been
interpreted flexibly to allow more time between
some reviews and the Board has deferred some
reviews due to community overload (with the
agreement of the NTIA, the AoC co-signer). The
CCWG required the new reviews to be carried out
no less frequently than every five years,
measured from the start of one review until the
start of the next one. It was recently realized
that the last WHOIS review started in October
2010, so when the new Bylaws are adopted, we will
already be several months past the October 2015
date for the next one to start and will need to
initiate the next one immediately.

Since the required review is an Registration
Directory Services Review, renamed from WHOIS
Review, we would technically NOT be in default,
since there never has been an "RDS Review". But
it is assumed that this distinction will not affect ICANN's actions.

Section 4.6(e)(v)
During the CCWG discussions on the interval
between the reviews, the issue of ICANN
immediately being in default on the WHOIS/RDS
review was never raised. Moreover, since those
discussions were held, the GNSO new RDS PDPWG has
been convened and is well underway. It is
reasonably clear that the people in the volunteer
community who would likely participate in an RDS
review significantly overlap with those who are
heavily involved in the RDS PDP. To schedule an
RDS Review soon after the Bylaws are enacted
would be serious error and will only serve to
slow the work of the PDP - a PDP that even now may go on for quite some time.

It is clear that there is work that needs to be
done that would fall under the auspices of a full
blown PDP. We need a good picture of how the
various current WHOIS/RDS efforts mesh together.
We need to assess how the recommendations of the
first WHOIS review are being implemented and
their impact, as well as other WHOIS/RDS related
activities unrelated to that last AoC review.

But these efforts, as important as they are, do
not need to be done by a full-blown AoC-like
review. Most of the work can be done by staff. To
the extent that "staff cannot be trusted"
(something that I question, but will address), I
am others in the community will gladly act as a
sounding block and review their work. [For the
record, I was the person on the ATRT2 who did the
full analysis of the WHOIS RT Recommendation
implementation, so I have some idea of what I am talking about.]

The current Bylaws for the organizational reviews
all have explicit time limits in them, but also
have the words "if feasible". That was true even
when the organization review interval was
(foolishly) three years instead of the five years
it was quickly changed to. "If feasible" allowed
the Board to save an immense amount of wasted
community expense and ICANN dollars. We need some
wriggle room in the current case as well.

I strongly suggest that the draft Bylaws be
revised to allow additional flexibility to defer
the RDS review until there is a real RDS to
review, and would even suggest that once
implemented, they soon after be amended to add the missing "if feasible".

=============================
Background:
The CCWG Proposal requires the Empowered
Community (EC) to take a variety of actions but
was not specific on exactly how this would happen
or what people would take responsibility for
ensuring that the actions are carried out. As a
result this had to be addressed during Bylaw
drafting. The concept of the EC Administration
was created, embodied by the Chairs (or other
delegates) of the AC/SOs participating in the EC.

Along with the creation (or perhaps
identification, since there was always a need for
such a body/group) of the EC Administration, a
section was added to the draft Bylaws placing
restrictions on the people involved in the EC Administration.

Section 7.4(d)
"No person who serves on the EC Administration
while serving in that capacity shall be
considered for nomination or designated to the
Board, nor serve simultaneously on the EC
Administration and as a Director or Liaison to the Board."

Lawyers Comments (in reply to my early raising of this issue):
On March 31, 2016, counsel posed the following
question to the Bylaws Coordination Group and
received confirmation that the disqualification
in Section 7.4(d) be included in the Bylaws:
"Confirm that chairs of the Decisional
Participants and persons designated by the
Decisional Participants to serve on the EC Chairs
Council cannot be nominated or serve on the ICANN
Board. Such a provision would be consistent with
other provisions in the current Bylaws, which
provide that (a) "no person who serves in any
capacity (including as a liaison) on any
Supporting Organization Council shall
simultaneously serve as a Director or liaison to
the Board (Article VI, Section 4.2)" and (b)
persons serving on the Nominating Committee must
be "neutral and objective, without any fixed
personal commitments to particular individuals,
organizations, or commercial objectives in
carrying out their Nominating Committee
responsibilities” (Article VII, Section 4.4)."]

I note that the term "nominated" as used in the
new Bylaws is used in the sense of the current
Nominating Committee. Once a person is
"nominated" by the NomCom or an AC/SO, they will
become a Director once the EC takes the
appropriate action (and the EC has no option to
NOT take such action). However, this is confusing
terminology, because an AC/SO may well have a
nomination process used to select candidates who
will then vie for the actual AC/SO selection.

I believe that the Bylaws Coordination Group may
have erred in its reply and moreover, the Bylaw
drafters went farther than was required in
implementing that response. There are several reasons.

1. I cannot understand what the relation ship is
to the EC Administration and the rules that apply
to the NomCom. The NomCom makes decisions. The
AC/SO Chairs or other delegates who participate
in the EC Administration have no discretion
whatsoever. They MUST follow the directions of
the entity nominating/removing a director.

2. Given that lack of ability to influence
outcomes, I find it unreasonable to restrict such
a person from submitting an SoI to the NomCom or
to their own AC/SO as a potential director (ie to be "considered").

3. I would find it quite reasonable that they
would have to surrender (or be deemed to have
surrendered) their EC Administration seat if they
are actually nominated (nominated in the sense of
the Bylaws - will actually serve on the Board
once the EC Designates them). This is in line
with the reference to serving "simultaneously"

4. I note that the wording in the proposed Bylaws
is different that what was asked. The March 31st
question was "Confirm that chairs of the
Decisional Participants and persons designated by
the Decisional Participants to serve on the EC
Chairs Council cannot be nominated or serve on
the ICANN Board.". The draft Bylaws extend that
to "considered for nomination" which is a much wider group.

5. The path of AC/SO Chair to Director is not
unreasonable - both require high degree of
confidence in the person expressed by the AC/SO.
And to be blunt, arguably two of our best
currently seated AC/SO Directors have followed
exactly that path, as did the current Board Chair
(although in that case, since the SSAC has chosen
not to be part of the EC, the rule would not be applicable).