[ALAC] Explanation of RoP Director voting alternatives

Kan Kaili kankaili at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 11:00:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have followed this discussion with interest but also confussion.  It seems to me that different options have different pros, cons and possible outcomes.

As a matter of fact, this reminds me of Arrow's Impossibility Theorem, basically saying that democracy can only go so far, and may not necessarily lead to a fair outcome acceptable by everybody.  In that case, some degree of "dictatorship" is warranted.  This is why republics are established, as well as why the presidential race between Bush and Gore was finally decided by the Supreme Court.

Thus, in our case, when a tie has appeared, I suggest to delegate ALT to decide who will represent ALAC at the position.  After all, the ALT is elected by all of us thru a fully democratic process.  Good enough.  In the case that even the ALT cannot decide, the chairperson of ALAC will make the final decision.

I believe this process is highly executable, and is also fully democratic to its limit.

Being the most junior member of ALAC, just expressing some of my thoughts for your consideration.

Best regards,
Kaili