[ALAC] Fwd: Re: ALAC proposal on multi-year planning for face-to-face meetings

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Jun 14 07:53:40 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I am obviously thrilled about these news. This is due to a lot of people
working on this, planting seeds at various levels, adding their input to
the document and speaking to individual Board members and other
community leaders. Alan and I, as ALAC Chair, might have been the
drivers of the initiative, but the vehicle moved forward thanks to your
collective push, including our past and current selected Board members.
So THANK YOU everyone.

But you know, only part of the deal has gone through so far: the
funding. Now comes the hard work of actually making good use of this
ability to meet more regularly both at RALO and At-Large level, in order
to increase the end user voice in ICANN. We need to organise ourselves
at all levels. We need to mobilise. We need to search for the input of
end users and in this search, we need to inform them about what is
happening at ICANN. We need to act responsibly, collectively, helping
each other out, collaborating between RALOs, with RIRs, with other
organisations. We need to use every CROPP trip to reach out as hard as
we can to expand our footprint. We need to put to bed the tensions about
how we call ourselves, whether we are civil society or not, whether we
can work with NCSG & NCUC or not, and also agree to willingly and
amicably share ALAC seats geographically around the world *so that no
region or sub-region of the world is left out*.
Failing to do any of the above will just waste our time into parochial
internal fights and waste not only ICANN's money, the money which end
users have spent when they have purchased a domain name, but also
discredit the At-Large community at ICANN. We would *fail* miserably at
our task.
The ICANN Board has placed its trust in our Community to do the right
thing. Let's not disappoint them. Let's not disappoint Internet end
users. We are *not* going to use this rotation of General Assemblies and
Summits as a calendar of all-paid holidays in exotic locations. Quite
the contrary, we will use it for the public good and we will *denounce*
whoever does otherwise in our community. It is a matter of trust and
accountability. Let's make end users proud of the ICANN
multi-stakeholder model.

Olivier
(writing in a personal capacity)

On 14/06/2016 05:24, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> [...]
>>> the response. Hopefully, this conveys adequately that the ALAC
>>> request is welcome and approved.
>>>
>>> I want to ensure it is clear that the Goal 1.3 of the 5-year
>>> Operating Plan has been adjusted to reflect this proposal, with a
>>> mention of the At Large meetings as relevant in each remaining years
>>> of the 5-year plan.
>>>
>>> If you have any questions, please let Cherine or I know.
>>>
>>> Link:
>>> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/report-comments-op-budget-fy17-five-year-06jun16-en.pdf
>>>
>>> Response
>>>
>>> Value in Face-to-Face Meetings
>>> ICANN recognizes the fundamental importance of the representation of
>>> users in ICANN’s multistakeholder model, and of the participation
>>> of such representatives in its activities. ICANN also recognizes
>>> that the existing structures of the At-Large organization depend for
>>> their effectiveness on face-to-face meetings, and that the past
>>> experience of the value resulting from such face-to-face meetings
>>> has received broad consensus from the community.
>>>
>>> ICANN Agrees with the At-Large Request
>>> ICANN welcomes the request from At-Large for a multiyear schedule of
>>> General Assemblies and Summits. It is consistent with the
>>> organization’s efforts to plan more and better in both short and
>>> long terms.
>>> It allows the existing meetings and costs to be put in the longer
>>> term perspective of a five-year cycle. This will improve the
>>> predictability of activities and costs for the ICANN organization
>>> and allow better planning and increased efficiency in the
>>> organization of such meetings. It also makes explicit the commitment
>>> of the At-Large organization to the suggested structure of meetings
>>> included in the proposal.
>>>
>>> The Way Forward
>>> ICANN plans to integrate the At-Large multiyear schedule of General
>>> Assemblies and Summits, and similar requests from other parts of the
>>> community, into ICANN’s Five-Year Operating Plan. This means
>>> At-Large will not have to make new requests every year for the
>>> inclusion in the Fiscal Year Operating Plan and Budget.
>>>
>>> Future Considerations
>>> The Fiscal Year Operating Plan and Budget are subject to community
>>> and Board approval each year. Because of the longer term planning
>>> arising from this process, both the ICANN and At-Large organizations
>>> will need to be flexible and adjust the scheduling of General
>>> Assemblies and Summit meetings to take account of circumstances as
>>> they arise. “
>>> We also recommended that At-Large provides periodic updates of the
>>> five-year cycle of meetings. These should happen at least once a
>>> year and at least two months before the scheduled date of
>>> publication of the draft annual operating plan and budget for public
>>> comment.
>>>
>>> Changes to be made in final FY17 planning documents
>>> Integrate the proposed multiyear planning proposal into the FY17

>>> CFO
>>> 12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
>>> Los Angeles, CA 90094
>>> Office  : +1 (310) 301 5838