[ALAC] URGENT: GAC Liaison

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Jun 12 16:44:07 UTC 2016

As you know, during the meeting with the GAC in Marrakech, we
proposed that the GAC and the ALAC exchange Liaisons. Although there
were no details of exactly how to go about this, the idea was
accepted by the GAC.

The Chair of the GAC has now given his approval for the ALAC to
proceed and identify the person who will serve as its Liaison.
Although there is nothing formal in this regard, it is clear to me
that whoever we propose must be acceptable to the GAC (or more
particularly to GAC leadership). That process was followed with the
GNSO Liaison to the GAC and I think it would be unreasonable to do
otherwise here - this entire concept must depend on trust and good faith.

In terms of qualifications, the person must be familiar with and have
the confidence of the ALAC, and at the same time, understand
governments and preferably the GAC. I believe that there are a number
of people in our community who meet these requirements.

Following consultation with the ALT, it appears that there are a few issues.

a) It is clear that we do not have the time to initiate a formal call
for nominations and the selection process that will follow it if the
person is to be seated in Helsinki.

b) This is a important step and we want transparency in the process.

c) It would be very foolish if we did not take up the offer and
appoint someone in time for the Helsinki meeting. Having a Liaison to
the GAC is something that we have been wanting for a long time, and
we have no control over how the GAC's position might change if we
leave the position unfilled.

d) On the long term, we will have to ensure that we have travel
support for this new Liaison, but on the short term, we have the
travel slots for the ccNSO and GNSO Liaisons which are not needed by
the incumbents (Maureen is funded as an ALAC Member and Olivier as
the EURALO Chair) and we have recently been given permission to use
these slots as we wish.

After consultation with the ALT, I would like to propose the following:

1. Once we have the ALAC Selection committee in place, and in ample
time prior to the Annual General Meeting to be held in Hyderabad, we
initiate a formal call for nominations; have the selection committee
make its recommendation(s) to the ALAC; and appoint a Governmental
Advisory Committee Liaison (subject to GAC approval) for the 2016-2017 year.

2. We delegate to the ALT the responsibility to appoint an interim
Liaison to the GAC to start in Helsinki.

I would like to initiate a consensus call on this, so please make any
comments quickly, and be clear if you have concerns with the premises
(a-d) or the proposals (1-2) and any alternative proposals.