[ALAC] Short ICANN57 Mobile App Survey

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Dec 23 06:40:11 UTC 2016

The Google Play Store page
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fivetouchsolutions.emicann57>
reports "between 100 and 500" downloads among all attendees.

Deployment of the app does not seem to justify the expense of its
development.

Good implementation of Google Calendar to list events, locations and
participation information had worked splendidly for past meetings; indeed,
there is an explicit At-Large account to specifically create and maintain
that calendar. Thanks to its active use, I was able to see the Hyderabad
schedule without downloading any apps (and in fact flag the one meeting in
which I wanted to participate remotely).

The At-Large Calendar is accessible through any software that can import a
calendar using XML
<http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/mg77af7hggs3b8vmi7ove5nk7c%40group.calendar.google.com/private-b88f8510a6e7434137ef6a308d29fe1c/basic>,
ICAL
<http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/mg77af7hggs3b8vmi7ove5nk7c%40group.calendar.google.com/private-b88f8510a6e7434137ef6a308d29fe1c/basic.ics>
or HTML
<http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=mg77af7hggs3b8vmi7ove5nk7c%40group.calendar.google.com&pvttk=b88f8510a6e7434137ef6a308d29fe1c>.
It informs about not just activity during ICANN meetings, but also ALAC and
RALO meetings as well as working groups. It has been around a long time and
just works.

Furthermore, use of open standards for calendar sharing makes that solution
far more platform independent as it can be used by people using their
desktops at the meeting as well as those on mobile devices of any make. It
integrates into existing calendars which enables volunteers to see At-Large
meeting schedules integrated into our non-ICANN lives. And, as a bonus, the
meeting invitation feature enables staff to track who is attending each
meeting should they utilize that option.

A platform-specific app, moreover a disposable one that's also specific to
one specific meeting, strikes me as wheel-reinvention, a misuse of
resources whether volunteer or paid, when existing multi-platform access to
the meeting information is already available and actively maintained.

Cheers,

- Evan

--
Evan Leibovitch