[ALAC] Motion to amend Rules of Procedure

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Aug 18 04:54:41 UTC 2016

In Helsinki, the ALAC approved a number of
changes to its Rules of Procedure (RoP) related
to the selection of the At-Large Director (ICANN
Board Seat 15). Due to lack of time, a number of
other changes were not discussed or approved.
These we discussed during the ALAC teleconference
on 26 July. Most of these changes elicited no
negative comments but one, a formalization of
current ALAC Leadership Team (ALT) practices, did
result in a number of comments.

Also discussed in Helsinki and briefly on the
July ALA teleconference were changes that are
required to support the ICANN Empowered Community
(EC). The EC will come into being when and if the
ICANN Bylaws adopted by the Board on 27 May go
into effect. This will happen when and if the
IANA transition is completed with the expiration
of the IANA Functions Contract between the NTIA
and ICANN. The NTIA announced this week that it
intended to let the contract expire at the end of
September. Presuming this process is not halted
due to some extraordinary action within the US
Government, the contract will expire on 30
September, the new Bylaws will be triggered and
the EC will exist, and the ALAC must be able to function within it.

As discussed, I convened a small group composed
of those within our community most knowledgeable
about the EC and its accountability measures.
This group was comprised of the five ALAC Members
of the CCWG-Accountability (me, Tijani, Cheryl,
Sébastien and Leon) as well as Seun and Olivier,
both of who devoted much time to participating in
the CCWG and understanding all of the issues. It
was agreed that we would use a minimalist
approach to ensure that the ALAC could fulfill
its duties. It may be that at some point in the
future we revisit these rules, but for the
moment, and given the tight time lines, a simple
approach was the wisest path to follow.

The group did discuss whether the Chair or
someone else should represent the ALAC on the EC.
It was felt that the default should be the Chair
because: a) there is no real power associated
with the position; b) there is are already
detailed measures in the RoP to control the
accountability of the Chair, and to remove the
Chair if there is some gross misuse of the EC
power (as implied in the CCWG_ACCT recommendations)

The RoP revision includes three sets of changes.

1. The revisions previously presented for the
Helsinki meeting, deferred, and then discussed on
26 July. The section on ALT practices has been
largely re-written to address the issues raised.
In particular: a) there is no longer any
reference to past ALAC Chairs, but a more generic
reference to other who might be invited to
participate; b) there is no longer a reference to
guests invited at the "sole discretion" of the
Chair - this decision like all other ALT decision
will be made collegially; c) it is clarified for
the purposes of full transparency, that any ALT
decisions are made solely by the five regional
representatives and not by the Liaisons or other invited people.

2. Two small changes to the Director selection
section to address a possible case of a tied vote
that had been accidentally omitted, and to
clarify that the BMSPC is composed of ten
regional representatives plus a Chair (it
previously was not clear if the Chair was one of the ten).

3. The changes associate with the EC.

According to the RoP section 13.1.1, a motion to
amend the rules must be made 21 days in advance.
Accordingly, I am opening this discussion of the
proposed RoP Revision. Subject to the discussion,
a vote of the ALAC will be taken after the 21 day
period elapses (09 September).

I am proposing that we adopt these changes in a
single vote. However, if any ALAC Member wishes
that we segregate out particular changes for a
separate vote, that will be done (presuming each
package of revisions can stand on its own).

I hereby make the following motion and ask that another ALAC Member second it.

Whereas the At-Large Advisory Committee is
currently operating under Rules of Procedure (RoP) approved on 20 June 2016;

Whereas a number of changes to these (RoP) have
been recommended to correct errors, clarify
specific rules, enhance transparency and
implement the ICANN Empowered Community;

Therefore;

The ALAC adopts the attached revisions to the ALAC Rules of Procedure.

Also attached is a detailed log describing each
change and the rationale for it.

This motion and the final RoP adopted by the ALAC
may be amended as agreed to by the ALAC prior to
final adoption. Final adoption will require a
super-majority (2/3) vote of the ALAC.