[ALAC] Content regulation

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 13:11:27 UTC 2016

Hi, Garth.

The mission of the Compliance Department says clearly that it is "to
preserve the security, stability and resiliency of the Domain Name System
and to promote consumer trust" so it is curious why any representative of
the Compliance Department would negate the consumer trust aspect.  In any
case, I have seen previous discussion about this and I am more interested
in action that would address the problem.

In ICANN different people have different ideas of what consumer trust
means.  Within the Board you will find a diversity of views.  To shift
people's point of view, one has to engage them in discussion and convince
them.  If the ALAC/At-Large is interested in shifting views within the
Board, then it would be worthwhile to develop an issues paper for
discussion with the Board focused on the interaction between Public
Interest and Consumer Trust.

At the operational level, I believe it would be worthwhile for the ALAC to
have a discussion with the new CEO on scope, focus and framework of public
interest response of the Compliance Department.  As a former regulator, he
has the capacity to understand the At-Large concern and point of view.

Best regards,

Rinalia