[ALAC] Universal Acceptance

rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 18:39:42 UTC 2015

Dear ALAC and RALO Chairs,

I would like to share with you a simple presentation that I delivered at the Universal Acceptance Forum this week (attached).

The key message is this:
We think of the digital divide as those who have access to the Internet (about 3 billion people) and those who do not (the rest of the world population).  Among those who have access, there is another divide.  These are users who cannot use email and other Internet applications+services because of the non-acceptance of TLDs in their local language script.  It is also a problem that applies to acceptance of Latin-script TLDs that are composed of more than 3 characters.  The problem of Universal Acceptance affects users worldwide and it is a difficult problem to solve.  One critical element to ensure success is strong end user advocacy across all regions.

Best regards,

Rinalia