[ALAC] [IANA-issues] CLARIFICATION: Questions on Accountability Proposals

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun May 31 20:08:50 UTC 2015

On 31/05/2015 19:27, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> Well, you will recall that my preference is not to have the ability to
> take action except in the case of a Board refusing to step down.

I absolutely agree with you.

> But if fact, the need to indemnify just decreases the chance that
> ICANN would defy the comunity.

Of course, that depends on what is "The Community" - which is the reason
why I agree with your point above. I would be very concerned if
Contracted Parties could use the "Community" to sue ICANN if ICANN was
to impose something on them - a right they currently have in the course
of renegotiating contracts. I see danger in building a potential
infernal machine that could ultimately see ICANN self-destroy. This
could be used by clever lawyers to exert pressure.

Kind regards,

Olivier