[ALAC] CONSENSUS CALL: Revision of ALS Criteria and Expectations

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 5 16:40:05 UTC 2015

During the discussions of the ALAC at ICANN52 in Singapore, the ALAC
recommended that we constitute a Task Force (TF) to make
recommendations to the ALAC regarding the criteria and expectations
for ALSes and how those expectations related to the work of the RALOs
(and therefore formally defining what we expect from RALO - something
we have never done before).

The recommendation was that this TF will include at least one ALAC
member per region (to be selected by the ALAC members from each
region) plus two people selected by the regional leadership
(according to the RALO practices). Other may participate if they
wish. The TF will be chaired by the ALAC Chair who will not formally
represent his region. At-Large Staff will be full members of this TF
as their input and opinions need to be considered.

Decision will be made by consensus among the entire group or if
necessary, by the regionally balanced group of 15 members plus Chair.

The Mission of the TF will be:

- Identify the qualities and characteristics of an organization to
enable it to be eligible to be accredited as an ALS, and to continue
to be an ALS. This may include affirmations or commitments that the
ALS should make as part of the application or accreditation process.

- Identify a list of expectations for ALSes - what must an ALS do to
be classed as contributing to the RALO and At-Large. Consider to what
extent this should be audited, self-reported or spot-checked.

- Develop a Statement of what we expect a RALO to do within At-Large
and have clarity as to how this related to ALS expectations

Meetings: The intent is to have weekly meetings

All Recommendations of the TF will go to the ALAC for ratification.

With this message, I am requesting a CONSENSUS CALL of the ALAC on
the above composition and mission for the TF. If you oppose this,
please let your feelings be known no later than 12 March 2015.

For clarity, in a CONSENSUS CALL, you may choose to explicitly voice
your support, but silence will be taken as agreement.