[ALAC] Reconstitution of the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Mar 2 03:38:58 UTC 2015

At the ALAC Wrap-up meeting during ICANN52 in Singapore, the ALAC
discussed the Outreach subcommittee in relation to our current desire
to place more focus on Engagement.

Although the word "outreach" can easily apply to working with those
groups with whom we already have a working relationship with, in the
ICANN context, it generally means just "recruitment".

There is a general feeling among ALAC Members and regional leaders
that we need to put less focus on recruiting and more on ensuring
that we have active and productive relationships woith our existing
communities (including ALSes).

Accordingly, the intent is to rename the current Outreach
subcommittee to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement and
reconstitute its membership. There will be two members per region
named annually by each region. The Chair/Co-Chair/Vice-Chair
structure will be decided by the new Subcommittee once it is formed.
Like most ALAC groups, this is an open group and anyone else
(including Outreach current members) may join.

In light of the revised name and mandate, among the first taks for
the group is to write a new mission statement (the current one can be
found in the description of the Subcommittee -
https://community.icann.org/x/cqfbAQ. This Mission Statement will
need to be ratified by the ALAC.

If anyone has any further input on this, please comment now. In the
absence of substantive disagreement, I will initiate a Consensus Call
to effect the change within a few days.