[ALAC] Questions regarding CSC in CWG Proposal

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 24 20:41:31 UTC 2015

During the ALAC discussion yesterday, I was asked to review the CWG
Proposal with regard to the scope, mandate and transparency of the CSC.

The comment in question was:

>The prerogatives of the CSC should be strictly defined within its
>intent of monitoring the operational performance of IANA function
>related to names, and reporting. Its reports should be transparently
>available to the community.

Based on the extracts of the Proposal as appended here, I believe
that the CWG Proposal does meet the need. The CSC also has a
responsibility to, at an operational level, attempt to correct
problems that are observed or reported. In my mind, this is
supportive of the monitoring function.

Alan

Extracts of the CWG-IANA proposal

Paragraphs 310-311
- The mission of the CSC is to ensure continued satisfactory
performance of the IANA function for the direct customers of the
naming services. The primary customers of the naming services are TLD
registry operators, but also include root server operators and other
non-root zone functions.
- The mission will be achieved through regular monitoring by the CSC
of the performance of the IANA naming function against agreed service
level targets and through mechanisms to engage with the IANA
Functions Operator to remedy identified areas of concern."

Paragraphs 314-315
- The CSC is authorized to monitor the performance of the IANA naming
function against agreed service level targets on a regular basis.
- The CSC will analyse reports provided by the IANA Functions
Operator on a monthly basis and publish their findings.

Paragraph 328
Liaisons can also be appointed from the following organisations;
however, providing a Liaison is not mandatory for any group:
- One liaison each from other ICANN SOs and ACs:

Paragraphs 350-353: Record of Proceedings
- Minutes of all CSC teleconferences will be made public within five
business days of the meeting.
- Any remedial action will also be reported by the CSC.
- Information sessions conducted during ICANN meetings will be open
and posting of transcripts and presentations will be done in
accordance with ICANN's meeting requirements.