[ALAC] Thoughts Requested on ICANN CEO Criteria

Vanda Scartezini vanda at uol.com.br
Mon Jun 8 18:48:38 UTC 2015

Hola all . Besides knowledge of management and disposition to understand on
how to work with community, I would like to think a little out of the box.
1. one point that for me was never well defined under the president mission
­ and I have the opportunity to talk longer with the head hunter which
selected Fadi ­ was how same person can impersonate two very different
required personalities doing both tasks with excellence. I explain
> *  Personality A ­ excellent manager,  large history in hugh position on
> corporations profit and not profit, with large budget and large amount of
> people together with a large number of clients to deal with
> * Personality  B ­ be a diplomatic person with huge understanding of
> government specificities, knowledge of protocols, reading government persons
> ³encrypt² messages and all the aspects of a large term dealing with these
> aspects as day by day work.
 What iCANN demands with the actual estructure is a person with both
personalities and experience and I believe this not only demands too much
from a person and the time a person can dedicate to both sides is reduced,
or a person will not perform with excellence one of the two sides.

 My simple suggestion for you all to think about is split the function. Work
as parallel activities, in a collaborative model ­ this is the new
capitalism anyway ­ and one has the responsibility with a corporation
excellence and other with the interrelation with governments and
international organisations and will dedicate whole time to this task.
As I said it is out of convencional structure under any corporation, but
ICANN shall be different anyway.
My 0.2 cents
Kisses to all

Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004
01311-200- Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Land Line: +55 11 3266.6253
Mobile: + 55 11 98181.1464
Sorry for any typos.

From:  Eduardo Diaz <eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com>
Date:  Monday, June 8, 2015 at 9:17
To:  Holly Raiche <h.raiche at internode.on.net>
Cc:  'ALAC List' <alac at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
Subject:  Re: [ALAC] Thoughts Requested on ICANN CEO Criteria

Holly:

Very good idea!

-ed

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 6:57 AM, Holly Raiche <h.raiche at internode.on.net>
wrote:
> [...]
>> international level
>>
>> § Global exposure: experience of working in different countries or with
>> different cultures
>>
>> § Experience in managing process work flows and ability to anticipate issues
>>
>> § Close familiarity with the ways in which civil society, business sector
>> interests and regulatory authorities interact
>>
>> § Success in managing ICANN¹s evolution as an organization, complex issues
>> and programs, and key contracts
>>
>> § Track record of achieving results, not just Œbeing there¹
>>
>> § Previous association with highly respected organizations
>>
>> § Leadership of dispersed international teams and active multi-stakeholders
>> that provide policy input
>>
>> Personal
>>
>> § Consensus builder and catalyst, a motivator and persuader
>>
>> § Intellectually engaging, contributes to Œthought leadership¹ in helping
>> define vision and strategy, and leverages the organization¹s competencies
>>
>> § Combines weight of personality with empathy towards others of many
>> different backgrounds
>>
>> § Practiced at exercising influence in non-hierarchical relationships
>>
>> § Earns respect and generates trust in him/herself and the organization
>>
>> § Multicultural with language skills, practiced communicator and public
>> speaker
>>
>> § Aligns with ICANN's values: integrity, trust, humility, technical
>> excellence and public service
>>
>> § Able negotiator, without making enemies, can represent ICANN and can
>> present it well
>>
>> § Strong affinity with the Internet (but not just a ³cheerleader²), conscious
>> of its role and complexity, fully embraces ICANN¹s mission and its bottom-up
>> process
>>
>> § Embodies and practices the multi-stakeholder approach and welcomes
>> significant volunteer involvement
>>
>> Technical
>>
>> § Internet architecture knowledge : understanding of the global Internet¹s
>> systems of unique identifiers, including domain names, protocol parameters
>> and addresses
>>
>> § Institutional knowledge : familiarity with the functioning of registries
>> and registrars, ICANN¹s policy development procedures and user categories
>>
>> § Understanding of the domain names market structure and dynamics, including
>> competition issues
>>
>> The Internet Governance Ecosystem
>>
>> § Institutions: understand the environment of those involved in the Internet
>> and its administrative governance systems, notably IETF, ISOC, W3C, and other
>> standard bodies (ETSI, ITU, ISO, Unicode)
>>
>> § International awareness: know the government stakeholders in Internet
>> governance and how to interact with them
>>
>> § Knowledge of the UN system and other international organizations and
>> processes
>>
>> § Ability to function and generate trust with all actors through operational
>> excellence and respect for input from the multistakeholder base

https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Advisory+Committee+(ALAC>>
)

NOTICE: This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named
addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email by
mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.
C)