[ALAC] For Review and Action ­ Prep For ICANN 52 High Interest Topic Session

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Feb 5 04:12:17 UTC 2015

I just realized that I was negligent in not
forwarding this message to the ALAC.

As you will see, this is a summary of the Monday
"High Interest" session. The three topics
coalesced at the SO-AC-SG Chair meeting on the
Friday before the LA ICANN meeting, which both
Olivier and I attended (as present and incoming ALAC Chairs).

The three items are clearly very inter-related,
and you will notice that the second one is
superset of the ATLAS II recommendation for a way
to access Policy info. Following the Chairs'
identifying these topics, each was assigned to
one Chair and I am leading the Information
management one (not that a lot has happened as far as I can see).

We are allocated up to 1 person per RALO on the
panel. As I am leader of one of the tasks, I will
exercise Chair's prerogative and will fill the NA
seat. We need volunteers for the other regions.
Please contact me via this list or privately if you are interested.

For the record, my personal position is that a
prioritization exercise is pretty futile. If we
can even partially address those, the need to
prioritize will be significantly lessened. Of
course, that will not address overload at times
such as this with the IANA and Accountability
efforts, but there really is not way that we can
fix the current overload with prioritization - it
is driven by external events that we cannot choose to ignore.

Alan