[ALAC] ACTION: Draft of the ALAC comments to be sent to the CCWG

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 09:00:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
wrote:

> Dear Seun,
>
> just a few points:
>
> On 15/12/2015 05:14, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> >
> > - line 93: Supporting inclusion of human rights in the bylaw is too
> > strong a statement. I'd suggest that it be conditioned on seeing the
> > actual bylaw text. Maybe we should even ask ourselves whether any form
> > of human rights text be included in the bylaw? If I were to answer, my
> > response will be that; for a technical organisation like ICANN, I'd
> > say NO.
> >

> ICANN performs some tasks which some Governments have said should be
> performed by Governments. The current emphasis on Human Rights is such
> that corporations and non-profits that have a strong public interest
> component and that perform such tasks incorporate Human Rights text.
> There is a cross community working party that has worked for over a year
> on this and the idea has gone a long way from when it was first
> mentioned. It is a side issue - let's not be the Advisory Committee that
> takes position against this.

SO: I would look forward to human rights wording in the bylaw that would
ONLY achieve the purpose you've stated above. I commend the CCWG working on
this but as attractive as it seem, I don't we should underestimate the
unintended implications that HR wording can cause. Its just beyond stress
tests! At times we should weigh the disadvantage over advantages. I don't
know ANY technical organization like ICANN that has such provisions, I am a
fan of HR but putting it within ICANN governing document seem to me like
expanding ICANN's scope/mission by default!

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*

Bringing another down does not take you up - think about your action!