[ALAC] Fwd: ICANN and Consumer Trust

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Dec 3 02:09:47 UTC 2015

Good letter, Alan.

Once again, my neighbours on a recent flight told me about the problems
they have had with Domain speculators registering the domain for their
company name and asking for $150K to transfer it to them. They had no
idea how to address this and were outraged that ICANN appears to let
this kind of thing happen unchecked. They also told me they had gone to
the ICANN Web site and found nothing there to help them. I told them the
available options they had. But really - I should not have to be in this
position. This just reinforces the feeling I have that the domain name
business is a wild west and ICANN is seriously failing to perform its
duties with regards to the public interest. No wonder the public thinks
that ICANN is unaccountable.
Kindest regards,

Olivier