[ALAC] URGENT: Internationalization of ICANN

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 1 12:31:03 UTC 2015

Just received this. Looks like ICANN is finally
listening to us regarding the internationalization of ICANN.

=====================

[Routers]  1 April 2015, Los Angeles   12:01am UTC

Fadi Chehadé, CEO of ICANN announced today major
changes in the internationalization of ICANN, the
Internet Corporation for Names and Numbers, as
well as changes in other ICANN plans and
activities.  These changes will take effect immediately.

"To promote greater international equity in ICANN
proceedings, we have decided to phase out English
as our lingua franca," Chehadé announced.   From
now on, material written diplomatically will be
distributed in French, the historical language of
diplomacy.  All other formal communications will
use Arabic.  In this way, top management at ICANN
will be able to follow activities of the ICANN
community clearly and effectively.

In addition, ICANN will rotate IANA approval
e-mails in random order through the entire ISO
country code list, rather than just
US/NTIA.  Each half month, a different  country's
appropriate governmental body will handle
approval e-mails.  Uruguay is first in line,
handling approvals for 1-15 April, followed by
Kazakhstan.   An anonymous spokesperson for IANA
admitted that "timing of TLD requests may affect your results."

In the interests of continuity and stability of
ICANN, Fadi Chehadé announced that at the end of
his term, his son will take over as President and
CEO of ICANN.  In preparation, Chehadé intends to
make every effort to solidify I* (pronounced "I
czar") dominance for his reign.  Chehadé notes
that the conflict is likely to be waged using
their preferred weapon, 'poison press releases.'

ICANN's Los Angeles Headquarters will shortly be
moved to the Queen Elizabeth II, which was
recently purchased using ICANN auction proceeds,
and which will provide a movable extraterritorial
base for stable and secure future
operations.  The tradition of regional meetings
will be retained as the QE2 sails between countries and continents.

In line with its new extraterritorial status,
ICANN will apply for UN membership, and has just
designated John Jeffrey to be its first
ambassador to that body.  Jeffrey, a U.S. citizen
whose native language is Privileged and
Confidential Californian, said that he planned to
promote it as an additional UN official
language.  Further, as part of its plan to
transition itself to country status, ICANN has
taken by eminent domain the two-letter domain
".IC"   The ISO and the government of the Canary
Islands have been notified of this change.  ICANN
expects also to apply for membership in the GAC
and to take an active part in its proceedings.

After almost 15 years of effort, ICANN committees
studying the evolution of WHOIS have found a
solution to the thorny issues plaguing their
progress.  "We have decided rather to create a
WHOISN'T service for people who were never born,"
explained one member of a committee who requested
anonymity,  "We don't know who those people are
because they never were, so we couldn't care less
about what happens to their data."

In a long overdue evolution of ICANN's tradition
of open discussion, the public forum will undergo
substantial revision.  At future public forums,
the community will sit on stage, and the Board
and staff will line up behind microphones and tell them what to do.

ICANN congratulates the CWG for making such rapid
progress.  In the tradition of digital archery,
the CWG has adopted the principle of planetary
archery, and has recommended that IANA reviews be
scheduled for each total solar eclipse, with the
review committee consisting of representatives
from each country observing at least 80% of
totality.  In appreciation of its service to the
community, the CWG will be honored at its
forthcoming 100th meeting by being awarded the
coveted Sisyphus Perseverance Award, named after
the Greek God Sisyphus, who really got the ball rolling.

Until the ship sails, ICANN is still located at
12025 Waterfront Drive in Los Angeles, California, USA.