[ALAC] Fwd: RE: Joint SO-AC-SG-C Submission on ICANN's Enhancing ICANN Accountabitliy Plan

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 25 13:24:35 UTC 2014

Olivier, I completely support this.

The statement both identifies an optimal solution
and provides an acceptable fall-back should the
preferred solution not be accepted. The fall-back
addresses the critical ones (in my mind) of
establishing the ground-rules ahead of time, and
ensuring that the external members of the
community (and particularly the staff and
external experts) do not control the outcome.

The uniform position presented to ICANN in
Istanbul resulted in an unprecedented result.
ICANN changed direction, and did so quickly,
because of community feedback. Consider how
different that was to the similar (but
uncoordinated) feedback it received on digital
archery! We should only abandon attempting to
reply now in a uniform way if what was being
opposed was contrary to our own views, and it is not.

So you have my complete support to proceed with
supporting the RySG statement (or an evolution of
it) as you see fit. I am effectively giving you
my proxy to take whatever action on behalf of the
ALAC and in support of At-Large in this matter.

Alan